You are smart to seek help during this difficult time. If you are 100% sure that you won’t reconcile with this person then moving on as fast as possible is a smart decision. Going through a breakup can be one of the most emotional times in your life. You gave your time, love, and attention to someone who you thought would be around longer. When you get into a relationship, you don’t think about breaking up until it’s about to happen. Some breakups or divorces may take you by surprise. It happens to the best of us. In this article, you will learn how to get over a breakup. Most importantly, you will learn how to get over someone and live a happy life without them in it. If you aren’t familiar with this website, my name is Amber and I teach people how to attract the life that they want in different areas such as love. I will be the first to let you know that you will be just fine – even if it seems like the worst breakup on the planet. The emotions that you are feeling is completely normal. For the next 3 to 6 months, you will go through an emotional roller coaster. However, you will get through it.
How to Get Over a Breakup In a Healthy Manner
Breakups are normal. Everyone who you get into a relationship with won’t be “the one”. You will only have one “the love of your life” and the person who you just broke up with wasn’t it. Feeling sad, anxious, depressed, angry, etc. are normal because you cared about this person and shared special memories. But, you know it’s time to move on.
If you were the one to cause the breakup then you should know that you are not defined by your mistakes. Learn from the situation and try not to repeat your mistake.
If you weren’t the cause of the breakup then you should know that things happen for a reason. Right now, you feel like you aren’t good enough but that’s not the case. There is someone out there who will adore everything about you and more.
If the relationship ran it’s course then you should know that it’s normal. When the love fades or things stop becoming easy, it just means that who you guys are aren’t compatible with one another anymore. However, who you are right now is compatible with someone else.
How to Get Over Someone
Getting over someone comes down to time, understanding, patience, and growth. A huge part of the concept of love is feeling attached to a person. Right now, you are attached to the idea that you were supposed to be with them for a long time. Once you feel like you are no longer attached to them as a person or the idea of being with them, you will get through your breakup.
You may wonder, how long does it take to get over a breakup? Typically, it takes a year or longer to get over a breakup if it was serious. During this period, you will be focusing on yourself and the positive things that make you happy. Now, let’s get into the steps that will help you handle a breakup.
How to Deal With a Breakup
Below, you will find 10 techniques for dealing with a breakup. It is recommended that you take them all into consideration. Keep in mind, these techniques are recommended by someone who was once in your shoes.
- Understand the root of the breakup – Understanding why the breakup happened in the first place is important. This is not the time to put yourself down. Think about what the main issue was without using emotions. If there wasn’t a significant fight or disagreement, when did you notice a shift in your relationship? Understanding why the two of you broke up is important because you don’t want to be stuck with the lingering thoughts of, “what if” and “what happened” later.
- Get closure – Sincere closure where you and your ex can come to a common ground is necessary. The goal is to not hate each other or become bothered at the thought or presence of one another. You both have to acknowledge that the two of you didn’t workout as a couple but it’s not the end of the world. Retrieve all of your belongings from one another as well. You don’t want to use that as an excuse to see or talk to them later. During this closure conversation, it would be a good idea to own all of your wrong doings and apologize. Closure is not code for “the blame game.” It is not necessary to scream, shout, or disrespect each other. Tell them how you are feeling and encourage them to do the same. If you have any questions, this would be the time to ask them.
- Keep yourself busy – Being idle at this time isn’t an option. Keep yourself busy so you won’t get lost in your thoughts. Pick up a hobby if you have free time. By the time you are ready for bed, you should be so tired that you fall asleep almost instantly. If you have too much time on your hands, you will end up thinking about the breakup and missing your ex. During the first six months, you need to obtain a new schedule that doesn’t have anything to do with your ex.
- Work on improving yourself – After each heartbreak, you should work on leveling up your life. This can include your appearance, finances, mental health, physical health, other relationships, and more. It’s time to focus on you. What are some things that you can improve on right now? Do you need a makeover? What would make you feel better about yourself? Besides, when you see your ex you want their jaws to drop in regret. Get started sooner than later! Success is the best revenge.
- Become aware of your thoughts – It’s okay to feel emotion. However, it is not okay to call your ex 52 times or text them every time you want them to know how you’re feeling. When you are feeling less than happy, ask yourself why? It is important to know why you are feeling that exact emotion at that very moment. Instead of reaching out to your ex, you can:
- Write your feelings down in a journal
- Record a video of you expressing yourself to your ex (but don’t send it)
- Talk to a friend
- Go on harmless dates – Get out there and remind the world that you’re cute. Remind the world that you still have things to offer. Remind the world that you shouldn’t be slept on! Text back that person that has been wanting to take you out since 1976. You don’t have to get married to this person. The point of harmless dating is to get some fresh air and be around someone who is interested in you. You also get the opportunity to throw on a nice outfit and look good for yourself. You’re taking your time moving on so don’t feel rushed to jump into a commitment.
- Do things that make you happy – Spend time doing things that put a smile on your face. We only have one life to live. Why should we spend it being sad?
- Describe your dream relationship/partner – There’s a reason why you and your ex didn’t work out. What if I told you that your dream partner was out there? This exercise is fun. Write down all of the qualities that you want in a partner and relationship. If you would like to download our dream partner scripting worksheet packet, you can do so here. What do they look like? What is your relationship like together? People are literally manifesting their dream partner into their lives and you can too.
- Take one day at a time – Getting over your ex won’t happen overnight. As stated before, you will feel like you are on an emotional roller coaster for the first 6 months. It’s okay to cry, yell, and be emotional. However, it is not okay to stay in that state. Life does go on and there is someone out there who you are more compatible with.
- Accept that they weren’t the one for you – This exercise may seem odd to you but it will put things into perspective. Write down every reason why the relationship didn’t work. Also, write down everything you don’t like about your ex. Apart of feeling emotional about the breakup is still feeling attached to the person. Give yourself every reason to be turned off about your ex. You will find it easier to move on.
Ways to Get Over a Breakup
Getting over a breakup starts with self-love. You have to believe that you are worthy of a new start with someone better. Your next relationship could be better than your last. You just have to take time and work on yourself until you meet the person that’s for you.
- Guided Scripting Worksheets – Attract different things into your life by writing it down in a fun way
- Manifesting Blueprint – Learn how to use the law of attraction to build the life that you want